The HP Smart app is the main software for your printer. Install it on the device you want to print from, and then use it to set up the printer connection. By installing the HP Smart app, you also install all drivers necessary to print and scan.
1) Install the HP Smart app #
Get the HP Smart app for Android, Apple iOS or iPadOS, Windows, and Mac.
If you are prompted to sign in with Microsoft to use the app across devices, you can sign in or click No, thanks to continue.
NOTE: Disconnect from a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.
2. If you are setting up HP Smart for the first time, you must create or sign in to an HP account to access all printer functions.
2) Set up your printer using the HP Smart app #
Add your printer to HP Smart and follow the guided setup to connect to your computer or mobile device.
NOTE: For HP+ printers, there might be additional guided steps required to complete printer setup, such as HP+ choice selection and HP account creation.
- If you are setting up the printer on a Wi-Fi network, prepare the printer for setup.
- Place the printer and the computer or mobile device near the Wi-Fi router.
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.
- Enable Bluetooth on the computer or mobile device so that HP Smart can detect the printer during the setup.
- For Windows computers, turn on Windows Update to make sure Windows is always up to date.
- After installing HP Smart for iOS and Android, enable the mobile device location service and allow the app to use your location to detect the printer and offer solutions during setup.
- Multiple printers within range of your device might display during setup. Make sure to select the correct printer. Do not select a printer with DIRECT in its name, as it is only for Wi-Fi Direct connections.
- Open HP Smart.
- If this is the first time you are opening HP Smart, the app attempts to detect and set up the printer.
- If this is not the first time you are opening HP Smart, click Add Printer or the plus sign to find the printer.
- On the connection type screen, select Wi-Fi, USB, or Network. The options displayed vary depending on your computer or mobile device. Follow the steps to complete the setup.
If you are using a Wi-Fi connection and your printer is not found, continue to the next step.
- Restore Wi-Fi setup mode.
- Most printers with a touchscreen display or menu: Open the Wireless or Setup menu, select Network setup or Settings, and then select Restore Network Settings.
- Printers without a touchscreen display or menu: Go to Restore Wi-Fi setup mode on your HP printer to restore default settings by pressing the buttons on your printer.
- Within two hours, close then re-open HP Smart, and then add the printer again.
- Follow the guided setup screens to complete the printer setup.
3) Make your HP printer more secure (wireless only) #
Secure your printer to prevent others from accessing it.
- Make sure the network, printer, and device are connected to a secure connection. Avoid connecting the printer to open, public networks.
- Use a strong password for your Wi-Fi network (your router), and change it on a regular basis.
- Create a unique printer display name to easily identify your printer when there are several printers on a network.
- Limit access from others for printer features that enable remote printing, such as Print Anywhere or HP ePrint.
For more information, go to Secure your HP printer against unwanted access.
4) Use the HP Smart app to print, scan, copy, and fax #
Print, scan, copy, and fax from the HP Smart app home screen tiles. You can also check printer status, troubleshoot issues, order supplies, and set printer preferences.
EXAMPLE OF THE HP SMART APP HOME SCREEN (MOBILE, COMPUTER)
- To print, select a print job type from the home screen, select the item to print, use the photo editing tools if necessary, and then change any print job settings.
- To scan, choose to scan from the printer scanner glass or document feeder, import a photo, or use the computer or mobile device camera to capture a photo or document. Use the editing tools if necessary, and then print, save, or share the scanned item. For more information, go to How to scan with an HP Printer.
- To copy (Android, iOS only), open the Copy tile, use the camera to capture a document or photo, select the size and number of copies, and then print the item in color or black and white.
- To manage the printer, click the picture of your printer on the home screen to change preferences and options, check the printer status, and more.
- To add or remove home screen tiles, select Personalize Tiles at the bottom of the screen (Android, iOS) or in the App Settings (Windows, Mac).
- To learn about other app features, select one of the following links:
- Diagnose and Fix: Run this troubleshooting tool built into the HP Smart app for Mac and Windows computers if you are experiencing issues with your printer.
- Print Anywhere: Use your printer when you are away from home and have access to a cellular network or Wi-Fi with internet access.
- Shortcuts: Create one-touch Shortcuts (formerly Smart Tasks) to quickly complete repetitive tasks such as emailing, printing, and saving scans.
- Mobile Fax: Securely send documents to a fax machine or fax-capable printer.