How to turn on “Less secure app access” #
If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.
Step 1: Login to your gmail account > on browser top right corner click the image icon
Step 2: Click manage your google account
Step 3: On the left navigational panel click Security
Step 4: Scroll down to find “”Less Secure App Access”
Step 5: Click on it to turn on
If “Less secure app access” is on for your account #
Because less secure apps can make your account more vulnerable, Google will automatically turn this setting off if it’s not being used.
If “Less secure app access” is still on for your account, we recommend turning it off now and switching to more secure apps.
Turn off “Less secure app access” #
To help keep your account secure, we recommend that you keep this setting off and use more secure apps.
- Go to the Less secure app access section of your Google Account. You might need to sign in.
- Turn Allow less secure apps off.
If “Less secure app access” is off for your account #
If “Less secure app access” is turned off for your account, you can turn it back on. We recommend switching to more secure apps instead.
How more secure apps help protect your account #
When a third-party app meets our security standards, you can:
- See what level of account access you’re giving the app before you connect your Google Account
- Let the app access only a relevant part of your Google Account, like your email or calendar
- Connect your Google Account to the app without exposing your password
- Disconnect your Google Account from the app at any time