- What is a Network?
- What is the Internet?
- Key Difference between Network and Internet
- Types of Networks
- Why do you need a Network and Internet?
- History of Network and Internet
- Features of Network and Internet
- Network vs. Internet
- Disadvantages of Network and Internet
What is a Network? #
The network is two or more connected computer which can share resource like a printer, an internet connection, application, etc. It is a collection of computer systems and devices which are linked together using a wireless network or via communication devices and transmission media.
The network provides connectivity between computers and devices within a restricted range where only one entity is controlled or authorized to manage the entire system.
What is the Internet? #
The Internet (Interconnected Network) is a global system which use TCP/IP protocol suite to link various types of electric devices worldwide. The internet is a collection of interconnected devices which are spread across the globe. It is a network of networks that consist of public, private, public, sales, finance, academic, business and government networks. The internet is a type of network and called network of networks.
Key Difference between Network and Internet #
- Network connects thousands of PC, at one-time while the Internet connects millions of computers at one time.
- In a network, one entity has administrative rights to manage the network whereas on the Internet, no entity controls the system.
- Network objective is to exchange data and collaborates with peers whereas the main Internet objective is to get the knowledge and communicate over the Internet.
- The Network is a collection of computer systems and devices that are linked together using LAN, WAN, CAN, or HAN whereas the Internet is a global system to link various types of electric devices worldwide.
Types of Networks #
LAN (Local Area Network) #
LAN is a network that connects a small number of the system in a relatively close geographical area. E.g., a floor or nearby surrounding of a building.
MAN (Metropolitan area Network) #
It is a communication infrastructure that has been developed in and around large cities.
WAN (Wide Area Network #
It is a network that connects two or more local-area networks over a large geographic distance. A WAN spans across a large geographic area, such as a state, province or country.
Why do you need a Network and Internet? #
The network offers the following advantages:
- Networks provide a fast and effective method for sharing & transferring files
- The network version of most software programs is available at considerable savings as compared to buying seat licensed copy for each of them.
- You don’t need to load all the software on every computer. Instead, load in the primary server and use on every computer connected to the network.
- Easy connectivity and fast communication
- Internet Access Sharing
- Helps you in performance enhancement and load balancing
The network provides connectivity between computers and devices within a restricted range. In this system, only one entity is controlled or authorized to manage the entire system.
- The Internet is a network of computers at different locations around the world.
- Allows you to send an email message from every location
- Helps you to send or receive files between different computers
- Using the Internet, you can participate in discussion groups, such as mailing lists and newsgroups.
- It allows all small, medium and large size businesses to sell their products with less investments.
- It makes information available worldwide. So there’s no need to look for a good book in different libraries, as you can search for information over the Internet.
- It helps you updated with the latest news and technologies.
- It helps us meet people with the same interests as communities, forums, chats, websites, etc.
- It eases bills payment by facilitating bill payment online with the credit card and saves us time spent to stand up in the queue.
History of Network and Internet #
- In the 1950s -1960s, Terminal-Oriented Computer Networks had begun which were very expensive. Therefore, time-sharing techniques were developed to allow them to be shared by many users.
- In the 1960s-1970s, The cost of the computer dropped, and new applications emerged. It becomes essential to enable mainframe computers to interconnect and communicate with each other.
- In 1960s, ARPANET was the first real attempt of developing a network to interconnect computers over a wide geographic area
- In 1980:The beginning of Local Area Networks (LANs). Affordable computers become available. Varieties of LAN topologies emerged like bus, ring, start, etc.
- In 1962, J.C.R. Licklide pioneered the concept of Intergalactic Computer Network
- In 1982 the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) was standardized.
- In 1990, the World Wide Web introduced.
- In 1995, mainstream Search Engine Yahoo was created.
- In recent time, the Internet covers a large part of the globe and growing exponentially.
Features of Network and Internet #
- Offers high capacity Load Balancing
- Indoor as well as Outdoor coverage options
- Determining by the weighted algorithm
- Web Content/Application Filtering
- A global network which connects millions of computers
- The internet is decentralized
- Every computer over the internet is independent
- There are various ways to access the internet
Network vs. Internet #
|Connection||Connect the system using different parameters.||Connect networks across the world.|
|Connectivity||One entity has administrative rights to manage the network||No entity controls the system.|
|Amount||Hundreds or a few thousand number of PC, get linked at one time.||Millions of computers get linked at one time.|
|Objective||To exchange data and collaborate with peers.|
To get the knowledge and communicate over the Internet.
|Type||Local Area Network, Wide Area Network, Campus Area Network, and Home Area Network.||World Wide Web.|
Disadvantages of Network and Internet #
- The network requires hardware, software which demands high initial setup costs.
- Some time it invites undesirable sharing.
- It may invite illegal or Undesirable behavior.
- Data security is quite a big concern in networking.
- Regular maintenance of a network needs considerable time and expertise.
- It allows everybody to speak about everything without any limitations or censorship. Could be a bad influence on impressionable minds.
- The search engines may display some unrelated results.
- Internet could replace face to face collaborations and make us lose the human touch.
- People working on internet-related fields need high speeds.
- Working constantly with or on the internet is surely tiring.
- The Internet makes us more a lazier – as for common thing like search the nearest restaurant or finding the best hotel.